I was born in Iowa City on December 4th, 1993. Five short days later, I was taken home into the family that I now live with and call my own. Since the age of 4, I have played tennis, but throughout my life I have also participated in baseball, basketball, football, track and field, soccer, sand volleyball and indoor volleyball. I attended Northeast High School in Goose Lake, Iowa where my mom was actually my elementary school principal! Since my high school was so small, they did not offer tennis…so I had to reach an athletic agreement with Clinton High School in order to continue my tennis career. I was a 3 time state qualifier and 1 time place winner at the state tennis tournament. In addition to that, I was also the 2nd highest ranked doubles player and within the top 15 singles players in the Missouri Valley according to the USTA. After high school, I first attended Coe College on a tennis scholarship. That unfortunately did not work out, and I ended up transferring to St. Ambrose University. It was at Ambrose that I truly discovered my passion for fitness and strength. I graduated in 2016 with my Bachelors of Science in Human Performance and Fitness and followed that up my obtaining my CSCS credentials through the NSCA.
10 Random Questions for Mitchell
- Where did you grow up? I was born in Iowa City, but I grew up in Clinton, Iowa. I just recently moved back into the Iowa City area, and will be a North Liberty resident soon.
- What’s your favorite breakfast food? That is a tough one since breakfast is by far my most favorite meal. I would say it is a toss-up between an egg white omelet or protein pancakes.
- On Monday mornings, I feel… Either completely exhausted or very energized for my week!
- What is your favorite thing to do on the weekend? On weekends I like to just relax and be outside. Even on my days off I enjoy staying active.
- What 3 adjectives would you use to describe yourself? I would say that I am driven, frugal (with money), and organized.
- Tell us about a favorite childhood memory. One of my most memorable moments growing up was when I first qualified for state tennis. I was just a tiny little sophomore who had no idea what “going to state” meant. However, that year definitely catapulted me into the player I eventually became!
- What is one guilty pleasure you enjoy too much to give up? Oh, that’s an easy one! Cookie dough, definitely cookie dough.
- What’s your biggest pet peeve? One of my biggest pet peeves is more of a combination of pet peeves…bad driving! (no turn signals, tailgating, etc.)
- Would you rather –
Be super strong or super fast? I would take super strong, to an extent of course!
Have no sense of smell or smell everything near you as though it were right in front of your nose? I would rather have no sense of smell, who knows, maybe that would help with my picky eating.
Never be able to eat hot food again or never take a hot shower again? I am a very picky eater as it is, so I think I could handle not eating hot food ever again.
Hang with a few friends or go to a big party? I would much rather just hang with a few friends.
Take a European site seeing vacation or a relaxing Caribbean vacation? If I get tickets to Wimbledon and the French Open…I would take the European trip, otherwise I would most definitely take the Caribbean trip!
- Tell me something about you that most people don’t know. I have two things. First is that I am adopted. Second is that I am actually missing two muscles in my face that most other people have!