Fitness and exercise have always been a big part of my life. I remember reading Arnold Schwarzenegger’s book, “The Education of a Body Builder,” in 1977 when I was in junior high and that was my motivation to begin training. I graduated from the University of Iowa with a degree in Recreation Therapy.
Currently, I am married and have two kids who both live in Denver. One is an Iowa grad and the other Iowa state. Previous to coming to Performance, I was a long term care administrator for 27 years. During that time I weight trained off and on, ran two marathons and ten half marathons. In 2016, I became a kettlebell instructor and started teaching. My goals at Performance are to help people regain their strength and conditioning and maintain their independence.
10 Random Questions for Monte
- In the morning, I can’t live without: Smoothie and eggs
- 5 things you would find in my refrigerator: Fruit, Chocolate milk, Veggies, Eggs, Cheese
- The most amazing vacation I took was… I went to Germany in college.
- In my free time I like to… Train, spend time with my family and dogs, be outside
- If you didn’t live here in Iowa, where would you live? Door county, WI Why? The weather is amazing and I love lake Michigan.
- If you were stranded on a tropical island with room for 3 people, who are the other two people with you? My Family
- Where’s your favorite place to take an out-of-town guest? Downtown Iowa City and Mickey’s
- Favorite sports teams? Hawkeye and All Blacks
- Would you rather –
have a rewind button or a pause button on your life? I would rewind my life a few years.
be stuck on a broken ski lift or in a broken elevator? Broken ski lift so I could enjoy the view.
spend the night in a luxury hotel room or camping surrounded by beautiful scenery? Camping in a huge RV.
explore space or the ocean? Ocean – I love water.
spend the day with your favorite athlete or you favorite movie star? Favorite Athlete.
- Tell us something about yourself that most people don’t know. I did a marathon in a wheelchair in 3 hrs and 33 minutes